April 27, 2006

Michael decided to try some voicing  in the wee hours of the morning. I guess he was awake and wanted everybody else to wake up; it worked. He was little
tired today and fell asleep early tonight.

There is only about 16 days of school left for most kids, but Michael will continue to go to Silver Sands during the summer.  We are fortunate that the school
has a summer program; this will provide stimulation for Michael and help us save a few bucks on his care.  The parents out there that pay for childcare
know how rough financially summer can be.  

Michael had PT/OT this afternoon.  Brooke said that they worked him hard and he did not cooperate at all.  He fought them and expressed his displeasure
with grunts and other assorted sounds.  

Thanks for everything, Ursula.
April 26, 2006

Michael was in a good mood when I visited him at lunch yesterday.  He was very vocal and bright-eyed.  He seemed to be more aware of his surroundings.  
He tolerated his tilt table well for about 15 minutes.  He was very calm last night and fell asleep before 10:00 PM.  He slept well through the night, waking up
only when his external catheter came off.  He has school today, hopefully he will have some therapy there.  Gotta run.

I am very far behind on answering my emails and I apologize.  

April 25, 2006

I tell Michael every night when I go to bed that if he needs me, just yell. Last night he must have wanted to test me, because he yelled a few times.  I
checked on him and everything was OK.  His pulse-ox alarm went off last night indicating that his oxygen level had dropped below 90%.  It was a false alarm
due to the clip moving on his toe. Not much sleep last night.

Michael is always on my mind; no matter what I am doing. I think about how deep his voice was, his quick wit and even his little attitude.  I will never forget
these things as long as I live. I often dream of him walking and talking.  I love the New Michael, but God, how I miss the Old Michael.  I want him back.

A friend of ours has passed on.  You will be missed, Darryl.

April 21, 2006

Not much happening on the homefront.  Michael has been in school this week and has been sleeping well through the night.  He is still very calm and is not
doing much.  I hope that he has not given up.  I need to shake some of this tiredness and motivate him more.  Need to increase his therapies.

I saw on the news this morning about a 2-year old boy that drowned in the family pool.  The segment said that the Department of Children and Families (DCF)
is investigating the incident.  Michael drowned with a 0.32 blood alcohol and when I contacted DCF twice, they would not get involved. I guess they can pick
and choose which cases that they want to investigate.  
April 19, 2006

Michael's heart rate has been running a little high these days when he is awake.  It could be one of a million different reasons.  Something else to keep an
eye on.  He is sleeping well and is well rested these days.

We need to find some place that will provide more therapy for Michael. Presently, he is only receiving PT/OT once a week outside of school.  He does
receive some therapy at school, and it helps, but he needs much more.  I will be calling Ursula today for some help on this matter.

Help protect our children.  When you're at the beach this summer and see what you think is underage drinking, call the Sheriff's Department; you may save
a life.  If you turn a blind eye to it, you are part of the problem.  

April 18, 2006

Michael slept well through the night. The pulse-ox alarmed a couple of times because the toe clip moved out of position, but he slept through it.  He was
very calm once again yesterday, there was not much voicing or movement. It could be that he is just tired, but you never know with a brain injury; each day
brings something new.  I layed down with him last evening and irritated him, trying to get him to say something.  Those of you that know me know how
irritating I can be, but I guess I was not irritating enough, he didn't say anything.

Yesterday I forgot to send his Hoyer sling and formula to school, so I better get it done now.  Thanks for stopping by.
April 17, 2006

Happy Belated Easter to all.  Michael's cough is all but gone and he appears to be feeling better.  He has been very low-key this weekend.  Silver Sands
School will be opening their pool in a couple of weeks.  I don't know if it is the warmth of the water, the buoyancy, or the memory of years of swimming, but
Michael seemed to really enjoy himself last time he was in the pool.  

I wonder if Natalee Holloway's parents are referred to as "Screaming Victims"?  

Once again, I am behind on answering my emails.

Don't Forget, today is Tax Day.

April 13, 2006

Michael slept well through the night.   We received new equipment since Cigna changed preferred providers, and  the new feeding pump alarm went off
several times since I have not figured out how to work it properly yet. The antibiotics are beginning to work as his eye is starting to clear up.  He had PT/OT
today and he is worn out now.

The legal front.

Yesterday, Brenda, and I  talked things over and we decided that we do not want Danielle's unborn child to suffer. Regardless of Danielle's actions, her child
is an innocent party.  We agreed with Mike Tabor of the State's Attorney Office,  to allow her to be released from jail and go to house arrest when her child
is born. Don't take this as a sign of weakness on our part or as any show of compassion for Danielle; we did this strictly for her child.  Mike made the offer
to Glenn Swiatek, Danielle's attorney, prior to the hearing this morning.  He wanted his client to be released today, when she is not due to deliver until July.  
We, of course, did not agree with this, so the hearing was on.

First, the two charges of providing alcohol to persons under 21 years of age, was argued.  The wording of this statute was discussed and Judge Brace said
that he investigate further and would rule on it later.

Next, the defense tried to show that Danielle's former attorney did not inform her that she might serve jail time for her offenses.  Mr. Swiatek put Danielle on
the stand and led her through some questioning.  Next, it was Mike Tabor's turn to cross examine her.   He asked her if she had read  and understood the
seven page document she had signed; she replied "yes".  He then asked her where she had signed the document.  She said that she signed it at the jail.  
Mr. Tabor asked her who was present when she signed the document. She answered that two guards were present.  When asked if Mr. Swiatek was
present, she replied that he was not.  Mr. Tabor then pointed out that Mr. Swiatek had notarized her signature and since he was not there when she signed
the document it was void.  Judge Brace called for a recess and was visibly upset with Glenn Swiatek's actions.  Both counselors were called into the
judge's chambers.

We agreed to let Danielle out of jail on May 13th. She will finish the remainder of her incarceration on house arrest, followed by 11  months 29 days house
arrest, followed by probation.  

The mother of the teen that was convicted of providing the vodka was in court.  Brenda spoke to her. She said her heart hurts for all the children at the
beach that day.  Brenda reminded her that Danielle is not a child; she is an adult.  If her heart hurts so much for Michael, why has she never done anything
to help?  She knows where we live, it is less than a mile from us. Not even an anonymous sympathy note. Her child will recover from this, ours won't.  She
should  save her compassion for someone else, we don't want it.

I was forced to do things I never thought I would do to get justice for Michael. I have put our lives in the public eye, I have stepped on so many toes and have
angered many people.  I have given my all for what I believe in and I make no apologies.  Michael is everything to me and he is worth whatever I had to go
through.  Thank you to all of you that have taken the time to keep us with us; it means the world to us.  Please protect your children.  Nobody won, we all
lost. Justice?

Mr. Swiatek, this is for your information.  I suggest that you get an attorney.

Florida Statutes section 117.107(9) provides that:

A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if the person is not in the presence of the notary public at the time the signature is notarized.
Any notary public who violates this paragraph is guilty of a civil infraction, punishable by penalty not exceeding $5,000, and that conduct constitutes
malfeasance and misfeasance in the conduct of official duties. It is no defense to the civil infraction specified in this paragraph that the notary public acted
without intent to defraud. A notary public who violates this paragraph with the intent to defraud is guilty of violating s. 117.105.

Fraudulently taking an acknowledgment or making a false notary certificate is a violation of section 117.105 and constitutes a third degree felony.

There is no exception to the presence requirement!

April 12, 2006

Michael slept well through the night.  His right eye was matted shut and his cheek was swollen when he woke up this morning, so we went to see Dr. Krist.
He has a sinus infection that should clear up with antibiotics in a few days.  

Michael cried today.  It has been a long time since he's done that.  It is hard to watch,  but it is an emotion, and that is good.  

Today was a very emotional day for us.  We did a lot of soul searching and it has taken it's toll. Our children are the most important thing that we have and
they must come first.

Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate
them, and then you destroy yourself. I can only say to each and every one of you, we come from many faiths, we pray perhaps to different gods -- but
really the same God in a sense -- but I want to say for each and every one of you, not only will we always remember you, not only will we always be
grateful to you but always you will be in our hearts and you will be in our prayers.

Thank you very much.

Richard Nixon

April 10, 2006

Michael slept well through the night.  The pulse-ox went off a couple of times, but it was false alarms.  He is awake now and seems to be well rested.  He
had school yesterday and was in a good mood when I visited him at lunch. He was very vocal yesterday evening.  I think he is trying hard to find his voice.

Court on Thursday at 9:00 AM in Crestview.  I think we are all ready to get this over, it has been going on way too long.

I heard an announcement on the radio from the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Department about spring break.  The announcement reminded people that it is
illegal to purchase or be in the possession of alcohol if you are under 21 years of age.  One comment that hit home was " Don't leave your drink
unattended at the beach."  Now why do you think they said that?  Could it be that if you bring alcohol to the beach and leave it unattended, a child could
drink it and drown?

The message board is being spammed quite a bit these days, and I am taking steps to clean it up.  If you have problems posting a message, either email
me and I will post it, or try it again in a few days.

Debi and family, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

April 10, 2006

Another weekend has come and gone. I brought Michael to a park for a while yesterday. He spent the entire time laughing. We think that the laughing is his
way of trying to communicate with us.   His cough seems to be getting better.  Hopefully, it is just allergies.  He is tolerating the baclofen increase well and
there does not seem to be any problems.  

One of my neighbors brought us a tray of cupcakes that were in the shape of an Easter Bunny head.  I'm sure that it won't last long as I have quite the
sweet tooth these days.  I think I'll start with the ears.

The legal battle continues and we are waiting for our next court date.

April 6, 2006

Michael had his baclofen pump refilled today. Dr. Renfroe used a higher concentration formula so that it will not have to be filled as often.  He also had his
arms and neck botoxed.  The procedures cost around $8000, thank God for insurance. He had PT and OT and a miserable, due to traffic congestion, ride to
Destin that tired him out.  He fell asleep at 6:00 PM.  

Hurricane season will be upon us in a couple of months.  We are used to the property damage, no gas at the pumps, no electricity, and the long lines at the
stores; it comes with the territory.  This year will be different.  There are no shelters in the area that are equipped to handle someone in Michael's
condition.  You learn a lot when you are in the situation we are in.  You learn that there are no government programs to help you out. No SSI, no Medicare,
Medicaid, nothing. You are on your own. Hurricanes are no exception.  We will be ready for the season and will survive whatever comes our way.  What
choice do we have?
April 5, 2006

Michael slept well through the night, but woke up early.  He still has a cough, but it appears to be due to allergies and has not moved into his chest.  
Pneumonia is always a concern, so we are keeping a very close eye on him.  He had a relaxing day at school and Brooke took him to the park afterwards.
Tomorrow he will visit Dr. Renfroe to have his baclofen pump refilled.  It will be painful for him, but he is a tough kid.  He gets that from Brenda, cause I'm a

Lauren, the speech therapist at school, returned after taking some time off to get married, (congratulations!), and remarked that Michael is looking good.  
She said that he is getting a tan, (thanks to the after school park visits), that he is holding his head up better, and he is showing more facial expressions.  
We are always grateful for the little things.

Thanks so much for the card, Mary W.

April 3, 2006

Michael woke up at 3:00 AM and has been awake since.  Spring break is over and it is back to school today.  He did not have much of a vacation anyway.  I
gave him a shower last night in his new shower chair and it was quite interesting. I'm not sure if he liked it or not as  he was wide eyed and moving around
during the procedure.  He tried very hard to say something.  He is nice and clean now.

I walked the very beach where Michael drowned this weekend.  In my mind's eye I saw him floating face down in the Gulf. I pictured his lifeless body being
dragged out of the surf.  I was trying to envision where the cooler of beer and the bottle of vodka were left unattended. I could see Lifeflight landing to take
him to Sacred Heart. I shouldn't have went to the beach, but it is all part of the healing process.

Happy Birthday, Sue.
April 2006
Past Updates